Jason Peters - Philadelphia Eagle

Started by mikey418, April 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on September 22, 2014, 10:43:10 AM
I think my favorite part is Kelly basically pointing to Peters where he was instead of doing anything himself.

lol he did - that's funny

Dennis Kelly isn't fighting anyone. Except maybe someone who steals his dungeons and dragons cards

phattymatty

I would like to sit on peters shoulders and have him protect me from all of the dangers in life.

Rome

Pretty sure you're safe from all the whores you impregnated in Nicaragua .

ice grillin you

QuoteKapadia: Earlier this week, Geoff Schwartz helped me break down film of the Eagles' run game. He was marveling at the veteran savvy of Jason Peters. For this week's trip down memory lane, I was hoping you could share the story behind how you guys acquired Peters back in 2009.

Banner: What actually happened was he was on the practice squad of the Bills, and Howie [Roseman] was actually watching tape. He came to me and to Andy, and he said, 'This guy's on a practice squad. He looks to me like he has some real potential. And I think if we put him on a roster, we could get him to move.' At the time, I forget what was going on with minor injuries and things, but the decision was made that it just wasn't the right time to try to move somebody off the roster for a projection. And we decided to just leave it alone.

So we put it aside, and then I had remembered this conversation. And when Howie brought it up, we all watched the tape and we all agreed that he found somebody that looked like he had a chance to develop even though he'd never played offensive line. I had kept that in my mind from this original thing that Howie had brought up and encouraged us to do. When I saw he was having a contract dispute with the Bills, I went back to Howie and Andy and said, 'You know, remember the story, blah, blah, blah, and maybe there's a chance to get this guy.'

Now obviously he was an established player and had proven that he was not only going to develop but be a top-tier guy. And Howie was immediately excited by the thought of feeling that out. Andy was a little reluctant from some things he had heard about intangible stuff. But he made a few calls, did some research and was like, 'You know what? Absolutely. Let's go see if we can make this happen.'

So we called the Bills and got permission to call the agent and started talking about the specifics of what they'd be looking for. And I was able to get them to a point with something that we were comfortable with. And we got into the conversation with the agent about what he was looking for. And similarly, we were able to be comfortable with that deal. Then we pulled the trigger on the thing.

And no doubt, one of the best, some could argue the best acquisition we made or the franchise has made in a very, very long time. But it started with Howie actually noticing him when he was on the practice squad. And then this follow-up from my remembering that when he started getting in this dispute over his contract with the Bills.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

So they could have had him for nothing but ended up waiting and having to pay a price to get him?

What a perfect example of the Reid/Banner tenure in Philly.  Makes you wonder how many others they missed out on.

hbionic

Banner sounds stupid trying to get a piece of the credit cake. "...And then this follow up from me remembering". LMAO
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

Wait...So Howie does know some football stuffs?

MDS

Quote from: Rome on April 17, 2009, 02:47:37 PM
If they got an all-pro LT for nothing more than a late first rounder and a fourth this year (plus whatever next - who cares) then I'd say it's a steal, especially if they're going to use him correctly.

correct

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 17, 2009, 05:37:13 PM
im down for the trade and like it but i dont think you can ever call it a steal...especially when you consider they could have had otah for just the first rounder

Jeff Otah has been out of the nfl since 2012
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 29, 2017, 01:31:41 PM
Wait...So Howie does know some football stuffs?

this is what jumped out to me the most....that and peters is probably the best move in the history of the franchise other than signing reggie

but for howie its hard to say hes only had three drafts and two have to be considered incomplete...the last two are too recent

2013 was also his and it gets C/C+....got one borderline great player and one really good player at the top of the draft but the rest was other than bennie logan utter crap
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

Look at you guys eating up the fake news. cute

QB Eagles

General_Failure

Man, they must have used an entire sharpie to draw that beard on him while he was sleeping.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24230258/deciding-future-pro-football-hall-fame-debates-eli-manning-darrelle-revis-more

Quotehttp://Jason Peters, OT

Résumé at a glance:

Signed by Bills as undrafted free agent in 2004; has played 14 seasons (Bills, Eagles)

Two first-team All-Pro appearances (2011 and 2013)

Four second-team All-Pro appearances (2007, 2008, 2010, 2014)

Nine Pro Bowls

The HOF case for Peters: Andy Reid called Peters "the best left tackle in football" after the Eagles acquired him from the Bills in 2009. Peters, who began his career as a tight end, has continued to state his case over the past nine seasons. He is freakishly athletic for his size (6-foot-4, 328 pounds) and, though hampered by injuries of late, continues to dominate opponents well into his 30s. A mentor and dedicated student of the game, Peters, who goes by the nicknames "The Bodyguard" and "The Franchise," has earned near-universal respect in his locker room and around the NFL. "I said, you need to change [your nickname] to the GOAT," his former teammate Vinny Curry once said. "He's automatically first-ballot Hall of Fame. There's no argument about that. And he's still out here working." -- Tim McManus, Eagles reporter

The verdict: 5 votes

The only unanimous selection by our panel, Peters has been first- or second-team All-Pro six times and has made nine Pro Bowls. Offensive linemen don't get stats, but that kind of recognition drives Hall of Fame résumés. Anyone who watched Peters play left tackle during his extensive prime saw a dominator who could wreck the man in front of him efficiently and quickly enough to allow his inner tight end to get out and block effectively at the second level. Longevity is one thing, but Peters remained an unstoppable monster well into his 30s. -- Graziano

Is he really the GOAT?   I mean he's amazing but there's been so many great LT's...

SD

He's the most dominant lineman I've ever seen and certainly the best Eagles lineman I've ever seen. For bias reasons and because I've watched every game he's played for the Birds I'd say he's the GOAT. I've never seen a player completely collapse one side of the field. It would be unfair to compare him to other tackles over the last 30 years (Munoz, Roaf, Pace, Ogden come to mind) because we didn't watch every snap of every game they played. Lineman don't make highlight films so you don't get to appreciate their body of work unless you've watched them on a regular basis.

Rome

Munoz, Pace and Ogden immediately spring to mind for me along with Peters. 

And Joe Thomas too, but unfortunately for him, we never got to see him play with anyone else who was remotely in his league.  That's actually what makes his play all that more remarkable.  The teams he played on were abysmal yet he was either the best or close to it for his entire career.  That shtein is amazing.