The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

I look forward to reading this thread for years to come.  I am pretty ignorant when it comes to rap.  Yeah, I coulda put the period after 'ignorant.'
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

I'm assuming you weren't much of a hip-hop aficionado in the past Dio. Its safe to say that the late 80's through mid 90's producing probably some of the best hip-hop we'll ever hear. With the exception of some groups out there now....these groups that are linked are basically where alot of my love for the music is rooted. There are tons out there....but these bring back some memories.

Sgt PSN

All good shtein and I've got a specific memory attached to almost every song up there.  My fav song on that list is Check the Rhyme - Tribe Called Quest.  One of the smoothest flowing hip hop groups ever. 

Good links Chuggie.  :yay

SD_Eagle5

I hate modern day rap/hip hop for the most part, but love the old school stuff. Sirius has a channel called Backspin that plays nothing but old school hip hop, definitely is one of my favorite stations.

phillymic2000

Quote*IGY and phillymic...remember that song, 'Where my homies?'...I fogot who sang that....let me know. Oh yeah, Peace!

I think you are talking about "This is for my homies" by Ill Al Skratch, it was on their first Album called "Creep wit me" in 94/95.

hbionic

Ill Al muther farging scratch! HA! :D

Now, that's digging in the crates memory style! Nice work mic!

mussa

Tribe is prob my all-time fav hip-hop group. They bring back memories, Black Sheep, GOATS, Das Efx, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube...the list goes on when I was a young buck.  Then came KRS-One, Busta, WU-TANG, The Roots, BIGGIE and Tupac, Snoop.  Now I am into MF Doom, Danger Doom, Mr. Lif, El-P, Quasimoto, Aceylone, Del, Hieroglyphics, more lyrical, more though provoking hip-hop. I def. feel those were great days of hip-hop, but todays MC's, DJ's etc...are way more advanced.  It's just you don't hear these guys on the radio or MTV like you did back then. There is a great underground world of hip -hop, just like rock/metal.  Its just harder to come by.  HOLL...ER....
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Feva

Microphone Fiend, Know The Ledge, Passin' Me By... some of my all-time favorite songs.

That's quality Chuggie...
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

i have all those on vhs (since converted to dvd) at home...but yes youtube is amazing for rap videos...i have like 400 hrs of yo raps...pump it up...rap city episodes on tape from 90 to 95

H...your cd is in the mail...should get there tomorrow

creep wit me came out in july 94 (or possibly august) and was a real solid record that was overshawdowed by illmatic street level sun rises in the east and the plehtora of other calssics that came out in what was the greatest year ever for hip-hop

"homiez" was the summer anthem that year...and to this day remains a classic summertime banger
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Hey Chuggie, how about you put up a bunch of .mp3 tracks for us to download?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phillymic2000

Quote from: mussa on May 15, 2006, 11:35:29 PM
Tribe is prob my all-time fav hip-hop group. They bring back memories, Black Sheep, GOATS, Das Efx, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube...the list goes on when I was a young buck.  Then came KRS-One, Busta, WU-TANG, The Roots, BIGGIE and Tupac, Snoop.  Now I am into MF Doom, Danger Doom, Mr. Lif, El-P, Quasimoto, Aceylone, Del, Hieroglyphics, more lyrical, more though provoking hip-hop. I def. feel those were great days of hip-hop, but todays MC's, DJ's etc...are way more advanced.  It's just you don't hear these guys on the radio or MTV like you did back then. There is a great underground world of hip -hop, just like rock/metal.  Its just harder to come by.  HOLL...ER....

Here is a little trivia question for you about Tribe Called Quest. On what artists album did they make their debut?

ice grillin you

q-tip debuted on  the jb's straight out the jungle...tribe as a group debuted on de la souls three feet high and rising

what mc did tribe go to high school with who almost became the third mc in the group but ended up forming his own group
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mussa

was it anyone from the jungle brothas?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"