Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

I liked creed despite its flaws.  This movie sounds like a horrific idea.

ice grillin you

slow motion motor cycle and atv shots FTL

tessa thompson FTW
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

MDS

shape of water - this is the favorite to win the oscar? first off theres way more of sally hawkins' Hoyda hair than i anticipated. second, the movie shifts from scene to scene of being a sci fi fantasy romance between a mute and a sea monster and michael shannon chewing scenery and snapping off his own diseased fingers. beyond the wild shifts in tone, the romance is never really earned. the mute and the monster have maybe 2/3 scenes together before she tries to break him out of the lab.

later in the movie theres the most ridiculous scene in movie history when shannon storms into octavia spencer's house, accosts her and her husband just kinda stands there and lets it happen. what brotha does that? the love story between the mute and the monster gets better post break out, but its just super weird how everyone goes along with their interspecies sex.

by no means does this movie deserve to win the oscar and especially by no means does guillermo del toro deserve to win best director. 2.5/5 with the extra half point for bush.

the house - this is on hbogo for anyone who wants to indulge. on the whole its a bad movie with no cohesion, story or actually point. if you break up each scene into a 3 minute youtube video it plays a lot better. basically all the actors are improv masters and they were just trying to top each other and top the previous scene. this would be an amazing stage show in a room full of alt comedy fans but as a movie it lacks...everything. 1/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Rome on February 09, 2018, 10:31:53 PM
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
10/10.  Best movie I've seen in recent memory.

Having the Movie Pass, I've been checking out a few of the latest flicks. Yeah, this has definitely been tops for me so far. Hell, even Woody Harrelson, who has no depth whatsoever in anything he does, works well with this story.

MDS

girls trip - horrible production value aside this was pretty funny. well at least when tiffany haddish was on screen. otherwise was basically bridesmaids for black women. larenz tate has to be 5'2. shoutout to mike epps who got 1 scene in this movie. 3/5

dunkrik - no script, story or dialogue but nolan's best directorial job to date. this was all him. really amazing how he put this together. big issue was he didnt really make you care about anyone in particular, so its just random dead body after random dead body. figure this shouldve been experienced on imax but theres a 100% chance i wouldve developed serious motion sickness from that. 3/5

my updated oscar rankings:
get out
phantom thread
lady bird
the post
3 billboards
dunkirk
shape of water

havent seen call me by your name or darkest hour.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

get out is pretty bad and phantom thread is legit awful

MDS

SD

Blank Panther lived up to the hype. Refreshing to see a movie like that after the Last Jedi disgrace

ice grillin you

game night - some funny moments and fairly entertaining but so many jokes that fell completely flat...decent watch but is not going to reinvent the comedy genre

5/10

Eagles_Legendz

Annihilation was ... not sure.  I was definitely invested in the moment.  Tense.  Cool visuals / setting and one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen in a movie in a while but I'm not sure how'd I'd rate the finish product.

MDS

oscar bets right now

shape of water +140 best picture
get out E original screenplay
shape of water +2000 editing

talk me out of laurie metcalf +420 to upset janney and nolan +600 to take down del toro

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on January 29, 2018, 09:40:43 AM
Thought dunkirk was a pretty big letdown.

dunkirk - saw it yesterday finally and i agree...i feel like nolan just used the story of dunkirk to mess around for two hours and play with his war toys...dont get me wrong he did it really well but the narrative of the movie was non existent...he just wanted to show people drown and boats tip over and big bombs drop...i would have rather seen a docu style telling of dunkirk with maps and shtein...i did like the ending a lot he tied it up really well and i thought the airplane scenes were outstanding

6/10

call me by my name is today and then ill have seen every nominated pic