Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Maybe IGY turns into some sort of drunken, idiot computer repair savant....like Peter Griffin and the classical piano.

SunMo

I'm trying to order a computer for a guy at my office and it needs to be setup for 3 monitors right out of the box.  Is that possible?  if so, find one for me and send me the link because i'm striking out like a mother farger
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Set_Up_Multiple_Monitors

Most computers have two outputs, you can buy a splitter, but you'll most likely be better off getting an upgraded video card. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

how hard is it to install a video card?  I've never done it and i am striking out like crazy trying to find a computer that has 2 dvi outputs
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

On a pc its easy(just open up the computer, either swap or put the new card in, insert disc, put case back on and you're done).  On a laptop its tougher just based on the available slots. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

Quote from: SunMo on January 13, 2014, 10:32:40 AMhow hard is it to install a video card? 

Hippo the Greater could do it in a desktop.

Not so sure he could manage a laptop.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Alright computer geeks, have a question.

I recently bought an external hard drive. The plan was just to use it to keep my pictures, music, and word/excel/powerpoint projects on it. The thnig also came with an "EZ backup" or wahtever, that basically gives you quick options to back up my documents file or etc blah blah. One of the options is to do a complete system backup.

If and when this computer dies, I'd probably just buy a new one. Is there any reason to do a system backup in my case? I plan on saving the only "Important" stuff (the pictures and whatever else) on the hard drive so I don't lose those...what else would a complete system backup save that I might be forgetting that won't just be included on the next computer I buy?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

Wise or not, that's how I operate too.  My data is backed--manually--offline on the regular (and in a week or so, I'll have a backup for my backup) and then I clear it from my working laptop.  The computer could die at any time and I wouldn't lose much I care about.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

I've done both, and I generally think they full system backup is a waste of time and space, particularly because it's tough to get to specific files because of the way everything is zipped. That is, unless you plan to restore it on your current system in full.

Instead, I just back the major folders of documents, music and pictures up manually using the drive every couple of months. And even documents aren't that much of an issue, because I've been using Google Docs, which is cloud-based. Even my pictures are automatically backed up onto Dropbox. So, really, it's just music that I have any risk of losing at any point, and the vast majority of that is always backed up.

Zanshin

Also, keep in mind those external drives can crap out, too. The really important shtein I have backed up on two computers, two backup drives, Dropbox and Google drive. It's overkill, but there's no reason not to for some stuff.

Diomedes

The thing is, almost all this "important" data  that I have isn't really.  It could all burn and if no one is hurt, so farging what.

Munson

Thanks for the input guys. Zanishin, with that in mind, I also bought a 16gb flash drive to store my pictures on, so I'll have two backups, plus whatever pictures are on facebook.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 26, 2014, 09:23:18 AM
is there any way to DL excel for free?

No.  Well, yes.  But it requires more computer/innertubes savvy than you've got.  And it's illegal.

Tomahawk has the easy solution:  use google docs.  It has every function you could ever use, it's compatible with Excel, you don't have to download anything, it's legal and free.  Etc.