Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Lol. I was thinking along the same lines. I don't think the Google Music app is available on iPhone, but I beleive that Apple has the same type of product...Probably whatever they renamed Beatz to.

Anyway, Google Music let me upload all of my music to the cloud. It kept my play lists in tact, album art, everything.  So I use that like 99% of the time for listening to music. 

Also, it just occurred to me that Havas might just need to change the default folder that iTunes stores music and redirect to his external disk. I don't know if iTunes allows that or not, I never tried it, but it's worth a shot.

ice grillin you

that might work if I could download iTunes to my external drive and if the phone would recognize it there since obviously you can't plug the phone into the external drive only the computer

I have no idea if any of that is possible
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

I don't think you need to put iTunes on your external, you just need to tell iTunes to look for your music on your external. 

iTunes has a default setting that tells it what folder has all the music.  Open iTunes and up in the top left corner there should be a little black and white box with an arrow pointing down.  Click on that.  Then select Preferences.  If you don't see that little box with the arrow, then you should have a regular menu bar at the top of your screen.  Click on Edit, then preferences.  Next open the Advanced menu.  It should be the big gear on the far right.  Says "Advanced" under it.  Can't miss it.   

First thing you see should be iTunes Media folder location.  The location should look something like this:

c:\Users\yourusername\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

To the right of that should be a little box that says "Change"  Click that shtein, yo.  (If you don't have your external plugged in, now would be a good time to do that.)

A new window should open up.  On the left side of that window should be a directory.  Scroll up or down until you find your external hard drive in the list.  It should either be labeled with a D: or it might have the name of your external hard drive.  Or maybe even both.  Who knows?  Either way, double tap that external like the hood rat that she is. 

Now you should see the directory of files and folders on your external hard drive.  If you have a music folder, click on that.  If you don't have a music folder, create one.  Then put all of your music in that folder.  Then click on that folder once and hit either Select Folder or Save or Ok or whatever the farg it says.

Go back to that top menu and select File and then select "Add Folder to Library."  That'll bring the directory up again.  Find your external hard drive on the left and then select your music folder and hit Ok.  That should (hopefully) put all of your music in iTunes, but allow you to keep storing it on your external.

I really have no clue if this will work or not because I've never tried it, but let's go for it.   

Geowhizzer

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 25, 2016, 01:18:24 AM
I don't think you need to put iTunes on your external, you just need to tell iTunes to look for your music on your external. 

iTunes has a default setting that tells it what folder has all the music.  Open iTunes and up in the top left corner there should be a little black and white box with an arrow pointing down.  Click on that.  Then select Preferences.  If you don't see that little box with the arrow, then you should have a regular menu bar at the top of your screen.  Click on Edit, then preferences.  Next open the Advanced menu.  It should be the big gear on the far right.  Says "Advanced" under it.  Can't miss it.   

First thing you see should be iTunes Media folder location.  The location should look something like this:

c:\Users\yourusername\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

To the right of that should be a little box that says "Change"  Click that shtein, yo.  (If you don't have your external plugged in, now would be a good time to do that.)

A new window should open up.  On the left side of that window should be a directory.  Scroll up or down until you find your external hard drive in the list.  It should either be labeled with a D: or it might have the name of your external hard drive.  Or maybe even both.  Who knows?  Either way, double tap that external like the hood rat that she is. 

Now you should see the directory of files and folders on your external hard drive.  If you have a music folder, click on that.  If you don't have a music folder, create one.  Then put all of your music in that folder.  Then click on that folder once and hit either Select Folder or Save or Ok or whatever the farg it says.

Go back to that top menu and select File and then select "Add Folder to Library."  That'll bring the directory up again.  Find your external hard drive on the left and then select your music folder and hit Ok.  That should (hopefully) put all of your music in iTunes, but allow you to keep storing it on your external.

I really have no clue if this will work or not because I've never tried it, but let's go for it.

this sounds promising to me...im at work now but ill definitely try when I get home....good lookin sergeant

ice grillin you

that shtein worked like a charm sarge....you are a farging genius and i want to kiss you on the mouth

Sgt PSN

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Literally should have been my first thought once I understood your problem. Oh well, glad it worked out. Looking forward to our make out session.

ice grillin you

back in the day with old cd players and other things that had shuffle on them they repeated songs all the time

with new technology im assuming this doesn't happen or does it still?

on an ipod for example im guessing you could have a 50 song playlist playing on shuffle and the ipod will play all 50 songs on without repeating any?

ice grillin you

also sarge regarding that space issue I found another or maybe the big reason I was losing space...

theres an option within preferences that says "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library"....so I had a folder on my computer that contained every song I ever added to my iPhone library...I emptied that folder then I simply unchecked that box and now when adding songs to the phone they are no longer being added to my computer

BOOM

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 24, 2016, 06:50:06 AM
on an ipod for example im guessing you could have a 50 song playlist playing on shuffle and the ipod will play all 50 songs on without repeating any?

Yep. It'll go through the entire 50. Of course it's possible to have the same song in the library more than once, but as far as the ipod is concerned, it's just another file in the list.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 24, 2016, 06:50:06 AM
back in the day with old cd players and other things that had shuffle on them they repeated songs all the time

with new technology im assuming this doesn't happen or does it still?

Yup, it should. 

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 24, 2016, 06:53:27 AM
also sarge regarding that space issue I found another or maybe the big reason I was losing space...

theres an option within preferences that says "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library"....so I had a folder on my computer that contained every song I ever added to my iPhone library...I emptied that folder then I simply unchecked that box and now when adding songs to the phone they are no longer being added to my computer

BOOM

Nice. So you basically had duplicates of each song file?

ice grillin you

it looked that way....I didn't really look closely but when I deleted the folder there was something like 3200 files

Sgt PSN

Yeah, that's probably what was eating up so much of your storage.

Sgt PSN

Apple released their latest desktop/macbook OS (Sierra) and it's pretty damn cool, especially if you're fully integrated into the Apple ecosystem with phones/tablets/watches. 

They included Siri, which is really cool because you can just open apps with voice commands instead of searching through all your programs.  The downer is that (a) Siri is not voice activated like it is on mobile devices.  You need to either use keyboard shortcuts or click on the icon on your menu bar at the top of the screen.  And (b) this dumb bitch can open an app but can't close it. 

Luckily, the interwebs already found a work around so that you can voice activate Siri. 

http://www.macworld.com/article/3096187/macs/how-to-make-siri-activate-when-you-say-hey-siri-to-your-mac-running-macos-sierra.html