Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

I used Vonage for awhile, maybe 5 years ago or so. Didn't have any issues with it, really. That said, we really don't use a home phone for anything anymore. I have FiOS and if I were to drop my home phone, I'd only save $5 on my bill. So, we keep it in case of emergencies and route it to my wife's cell phone. I don't even have home phones set up in the house, generally. So, my point is...do you need it? And, if so, would it be cheaper to just add an option to your cable or phone package?

Seabiscuit36

I have Ooma, and couldn't be happier.  Paid 99 bucks for the system, we got the bare bones option at the time because it's mainly a backup for our cellphones which get zesty coverage at home.  I think we're on the Basic package, but it amounts to 4.30 a month in taxes and fees, thats it.  Quality is great provided you have decent internet.  I think Sarge had magic jack but he said the quality was meh. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

General_Failure

Pre-emptive help for you guys when you upgrade to Windows 10 during the free upgrade month starting on the 29th, which you should definitely do. Why the Hell Is Windows 10 Sharing My Wifi Passwords?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Why should I upgrade to 10?  And can my old dinosaur of a Windows 7 system handle it?

General_Failure

Because it'll be free and they stopped supporting 7 in January. And yes.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

General_Failure

Nah, congress is voting on the Cyber Intelligence Security Act this week to skip the middle man.

Geowhizzer

Sgt PSN

So I've got this crappy Toshiba laptop that runs crappy Vista.  I powered it on today for the first time in probably 2 years.  Boots up just fine and all that, but it needs a shtein ton of updates, one of which is for Java.  So I go to java's website and download their latest and run the install.  Install window pops up and it runs until it's like 98% done and then it just stops.  It doesn't freeze my laptop up or anything, it just stops installing, but the install window is still open. 

I don't really give a shtein about this laptop because it kind of sucked to begin with, but I'm sick of trying to type on my phone/tablet keyboard all the time when I'm chilling in the living room, so I'd like to still be able to use it as an internet box.  Any suggestions how to finish this install? 

General_Failure

If the registration key is still on the bottom I'd say just wipe it and start fresh.

ice grillin you

as a total idiot when it comes to this stuff i am going to try and explain this the best i can

I have a laptop or maybe its called a tablet...whatever it is it has a super small hard drive

because of this I keep all my music on a slimdisk i have to boost the memory of the laptop and an external hard drive

the problem im running into is putting as many songs on my iPhone as i want because when i plug the phone into the computer to connect to iTunes the phone and whatever is on it is using the computers hd space i think....i can only put X amount of songs on the phone before i get a message saying there is no more room left on the hard drive

is there anyway around this other than getting a laptop with a bigger hardrive?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Is it the phone that's full or the computer? The way you're explaining it sounds like the phone.

ice grillin you

the computer....I think?...because I know I have had a lot more songs on the phone than there currently is

right now there is only 1.21 GB left on the hard drive and when I plug my phone into the computer I think its eating it all up....when you plug an iPhone into any laptop whatever is on the iPhone is recognized by the computer as taking up space on its hard drive right?

or should the phone be its own separate "hard drive" that I can move music to until it fills up

right now it seems like it I go to my external hard drive and drag and drop 500 songs into iTunes to then sync to the iPhone my computer is counting those 500 songs on being on its hard drive when it hits iTunes

is that how it works?

ice grillin you

in fact the message I get when i try to drop the songs into iTunes is this:

"There is not enough room on "OS" to copy all of the requested files. ITunes will copy as many files as possible"

Sgt PSN

First things first..When the farg did you get a cellphone, gramps?