Derek Barnett, DE, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2017, 09:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: General_Failure on April 28, 2017, 01:43:31 AM
He's just trying to figure out how much longer he's gotta put up with this shtein.

About eight months.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2017, 08:26:43 AM

Quote from: SD on April 28, 2017, 06:34:00 AM
Howie was interviewed on CSN last night, he was not remotely prepared for all the players that fell. He admitted as much. 

i wanna see this....not that i dont believe you but i think im at the point where i enjoy self pain

Go to 2:10

http://www.csnphilly.com/video/exclusive-interview-reuben-frank-and-howie-roseman-talk-derek-barnett

Eagaholic

Quote from: SD on April 27, 2017, 10:32:08 PM
Quote from: MDS on April 27, 2017, 10:17:49 PM
is that enough to entice the saints not to take him? if you want to jump the saints you had to beat the teams searching for a qb

im not sure if a logical trade was there

You're telling me the Bengals at 9 don't take 14, the Eagles 3rd, and the Eagles 4th (which they have two of)?
For posterity since this will always be a thing if it turns out that Barnett sucks and Latimore is good:

QuoteBengals might have traded, if anyone had called
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 28, 2017, 9:27 AM

There were deals made in the Bengals' neighborhood, with two of the next three picks traded to teams eager to move up for a quarterback.

But Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis might have felt a little lonely, since no one called to ask about moving to the ninth overall.

"Nobody was interested when we were on the clock," Lewis said, via Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Kansas City and Houston traded into the 10th and 12th spots, respectively, for Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. But because the Chiefs and Texans were including the 27th and 25th picks as part of their packages (both included next year's one, and the Chiefs threw in this year's third), it's not certain the Bengals would have been interested anyway.

Lewis said they were so intrigued by the big-play potential of wide receiver John Ross that they didn't want to risk moving too far down the order anyway.

"There are wow plays," Lewis said. "When you watch tape you feel the guy. But we felt good about the nine guys we had up there. I made the comment to [owner] Mike [Brown] on Monday morning that where we ended up settling up there when you watch those guys play on tape you felt them.

"Sometimes when you watch guys on tape you get bored and those guys fall down further a little bit in my mind. The way it shook out for us, the nine guys that we thought fit us best when you watched them play you really felt them."

While there were defensive players they could have taken a little later (bypassing their annual first-round cornerback in Marshon Lattimore), the Bengals didn't want to drop past the mid-teens, and no one called anyway.

SD

They probably would have taken a 3rd. Eagles could have had Lattimore. Today they could have traded their 2nd and 4th to move up for Cook. Imagine coming away from this draft with Lattimore and Cook?

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Susquehanna Birder

Douglas said quite clearly that he had the DB depth in this draft as very deep. I don't think there was any way they were going to sacrifice additional picks to go up and get any CB.

SD

Quote from: smeags on April 28, 2017, 11:00:46 AM
you're that down on Barnett ?

I have no idea how Barnett pans out. I do know there were better players available at the time and their biggest need is CB and the best one in the draft was within striking distance.

PhillyPhreak54

Drafting for need sometimes will kill you. You know that.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 28, 2017, 11:16:28 AM

yeah like taking Barnett because he is a DE
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: SD on April 28, 2017, 10:58:25 AM
They probably would have taken a 3rd. Eagles could have had Lattimore. Today they could have traded their 2nd and 4th to move up for Cook. Imagine coming away from this draft with Lattimore and Cook?

alright fantasy football gm...lets calm down
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Lattimore was the consensus best CB in the draft. That's hardly drafting for need.

SD

Quote from: MDS on April 28, 2017, 11:31:32 AM

Know what's funny, Eagles fans are usually spot on with their criticism of draft picks.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2017, 11:26:58 AM

yeah like taking Barnett because he is a DE

So that's only why they took him? Not because he's good? Or you just can't fathom he was the top guy on their board?

MDS

im not saying barnett is going to be a stud...i have no earthly idea how good or bad he'll be...but these trades are sports radio caller levels of silly.

not to mention they need players! they need picks! even chip kelly hit on jordan hicks. the more lotto tickets you have, the better chance you'll have of finding talent.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on April 28, 2017, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: MDS on April 28, 2017, 11:31:32 AM

Know what's funny, Eagles fans are usually spot on with their criticism of draft picks.

also as you mentioned no one is specifically killing Barnett and saying bust or something ridiculous like that

just that there was probably five better options at the time

it was a terrible pick with what was there barnett himself is not necessarily terrible
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous