2013-14 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by BigEd76, September 30, 2013, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Get Davey Lopes back here and I'll be a little bit happy.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

because hes old and he loves bunting and over compensating for matchups...running pitchers into the ground...pinch running...etc

things that all the data in the world say are stupid
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

neither will be with the team when they are good again.....shtein bowa might be dead
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 07, 2013, 10:21:02 PM
neither will be with the team when they are good again.....shtein bowa might be dead

Hell, that may be by the end of this season, if the team plays the way it did last season.  Bowa may spontaneously combust.

Don Ho

This whole board will be dead by the time this team is good again. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Don Ho on October 07, 2013, 10:24:42 PM
This whole board will be dead by the time this team is good again.

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 07, 2013, 10:23:46 PM
Hell, that may be by the end of this season, if the team plays the way it did last season.  We may spontaneously combust.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on October 07, 2013, 10:20:56 PM
because hes old and he loves bunting and over compensating for matchups...running pitchers into the ground...pinch running...etc

things that all the data in the world say are stupid

I bet myself that would be your answer...and I WIN.

ice grillin you

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

embarrassing analogy but i would expect nothing less from a VORPer

MDS

"lets do things even though, odds wise, it makes no sense because things have just been done that way"

OK

ice grillin you

lets just not watch sports...enter all the data and let a computer decide who wins since the data tells you everything

MDS

the data tells you to not bunt and to not punt on 4th and 1

the fun part is what comes next...for some of us i suppose

PhillyPhreak54

Nothing will ever replace intuition and a keen baseball eye. Nothing. Not some MIT algorithm nor some spreadsheet making farg in a closet somewhere outside the GM's office.

You have to watch and get a feel of something. You can run all the numbers in the world but you have to know when and how to push the right buttons. Some Billy Beane clown ain't gonna pick up on perhaps a pitcher is a tipping something or that his curve is flat that day. You play the feel and gut not a goddamn spreadsheet

MDS

no one says you dont

they just say dont bunt, dont take your best hitter out of the lineup for a low-percentage scoring opportunity, dont hold your best relief pitcher for a situation that might or might not ever occur

those kinds of things are proven to be incorrect. tell me you understand the difference between that and a manager and hitter communicating on whether or not to take a pitch