The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

this is insane

QuoteHurricane Florence dumped 11.1 trillion gallons of water on the Carolinas.  The U.S. population is 325.7 million so that equates to 218,114 bottles (20oz) of water for every American
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

They might want to consider climate science next time they make some policy decisions regarding infrastructure and zoning.  Oh, right...it's a chinese hoax so they've outlawed it. 

Chickens come home to roost.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on September 20, 2018, 09:25:28 AM
They might want to consider climate science next time they make some policy decisions regarding infrastructure and zoning.

A more direct way to dissuade people from building in such areas is to zero out the National Flood Insurance Program, which is a subsidy to the disproportionately wealthy to build in risky areas the private insurance industry won't touch. We don't need to be paying for some icehole to be rebuilding his oceanfront home for the fourth time.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 20, 2018, 09:45:14 AM
Quote from: Diomedes on September 20, 2018, 09:25:28 AM
They might want to consider climate science next time they make some policy decisions regarding infrastructure and zoning.

A more direct way to dissuade people from building in such areas is to zero out the National Flood Insurance Program, which is a subsidy to the disproportionately wealthy to build in risky areas the private insurance industry won't touch. We don't need to be paying for some icehole to be rebuilding his oceanfront home for the fourth time.

The NFIP is a money grab in and of itself.  I live 20+ miles from the Gulf of Mexico, nowhere near a major river and have to shell out hundreds of dollar a year for a "1-in-500 years" flood.  If I am flooded, say good-bye to the entire southern third of the peninsula.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Impressively awful storm about to smash Florida.

My chicks mom lives in Pensacola and is in Orlando right now for work. Looks like the bad stuff will miss Pensacola for the most part.

I wonder how many idiots stayed and didn't evacuate? Being that it's Florida I'm sure we will hear a ton of crazy stories about idiots doing Florida man things.

150mph winds

General_Failure

It was only a tropical storm until like yesterday. It's not hitting us, so I'm putting up more halloween decorations.

Geowhizzer

It's not really anywhere near us, but we've had some coastal flooding from the storm surge.  Good thing I live in the woods.

Rome

My lady works for a state agency.  The district up there closed for the first time in its history. They told everyone to get at least 50 miles inland preferably to the northwest.  They are "on call" and are supposed to be within 2 hours during emergencies.  Not this time.  This is Andrew all over again.   

I'm not much for prayers, but oh my good lord this one is bad. 

PhillyPhreak54

Glad you guys are not in the path.

Romey isn't either right?

Rome

We're a couple hundred miles to the southeast.  We're fine here. 

MDS

isnt it hitting MAGAville
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

All of Florida except for parts of Miami is MAGAville, but yes it's hitting the panhandle.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Update: Waffle House had to close 18 locations.