Started by ice grillin you, December 02, 2005, 02:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

ice grillin you

white is right

does that shot count

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 02, 2005, 02:50:22 PM
does that shot count
No, not according to NBA rules:
Quotee. On the following infractions, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team out-of-bounds on the nearest sideline at the free throw line extended:
(1) Three-seconds (offensive)
(2) Ball entering basket from below
(3) Illegal assist in scoring
(4) Offensive screen set out-of-bounds
(5) Free throw violation by the offensive team
(6) Flagrant foul-penalty (1) or (2)
(7) Defensive three-seconds
( 8 ) Jump ball violation at free throw circle
(9) Ball passing directly behind backboard
(10) Offensive basket interference
(11) Ball hitting horizontal basket support
(12) Loose ball fouls which occur inside the free throw line extended
(13) Five second back-to-the-basket violation
So, that incredible act of athleticism resulted in the same outcome as if he just let it go out of bounds.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

ice grillin you

but it didnt enter from below...it went down into and thru the rim

SunMo

the only way that wouldn't count would be if the dude was out of bounds when he threw it back, otherwise, it should count.

the net helped wrap it up over the rim, but that shouldn't be illegal.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 02, 2005, 03:10:51 PM
but it didnt enter from below...it went down into and thru the rim
While it didn't pass through the rim, "basket" is defined to include the net:

Quoted. Each basket shall consist of a pressure-release NBA approved metal safety ring 18" in inside diameter with a white cord net 15" to 18" in length. The cord of the net shall not be less than 30 thread nor more than 120 thread and shall be constructed to check the ball momentarily as it passes through the basket.

The ball seems to enter the bottom of the net, which whips it around to the top of the rim.  Play stops as soon as the ball entered the net from below.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Correct.  The net held it up and brought it back through.  Quite amazing.

ice grillin you

Play stops as soon as the ball entered the net from below

are you saying that other than the ball going into the basket...any ball that touches any part of the net will cause a immediate stoppage in play

MURP

ice grillin you

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 02, 2005, 03:39:35 PM
Play stops as soon as the ball entered the net from below

are you saying that other than the ball going into the basket...any ball that touches any part of the net will cause a immediate stoppage in play
It is hard to see for sure, but it looks to me like the ball enters the net from below - otherwise, how would the direction of the ball chage?  If it didn't go into the net, it would just swipe past it and continue to mid court.

The definition states that basket = net + rim.  Ball enters net from below = ball enters basket from below.

Ball hitting the outside of the net is not the same as the ball entering the net.

ice grillin you

im confused as to what youre saying...but the ball clearly went DOWN thru the rim...tho it did hit the net first

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 02, 2005, 03:50:25 PM
im confused as to what youre saying...but the ball clearly went DOWN thru the rim...tho it did hit the net first
I'm saying that he threw it in bounds, the ball went into the net from below.  The net "grabbed" the ball (the ball was stuck in the net), and swung it around from below the rim to above the rim.  The ball then came out of the bottom of the net and dropped through the rim from above.

When the net "grabbed" the ball, the ball had "entered the basket from below" because the net is part of the basket.

ice grillin you

right thats what i thought you were saying...but are you saying the play should have been whistled dead as soon as it got caught in/hit  the net...or only when the ball went into the basket