Soccer - World Cup Qualifying

Started by PhillyandBCEagles, February 13, 2005, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGM

Ed, every year the host is supposed to get the easiest bracket and because of that there is one "death bracket."  The U.S. according to most things I've heard have that this year.  :-\  Its called death bracket because even if you make it out you are generally more worn than those with easier brackets.  On the the plus side the U.S.' bracket in 02' was considered by some to be the hardest.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

DutchBird

The USA has drawn one of the two toughest groups...

my team, the Dutch, are in the other (Argentina, Ivory Coast,  Netherlands, Serbia & Montenegro).
You have New York, we have Amsterdam
Just 15,000 Dutch beat out 90,000 Americans

With Timmy, one of three things is going to happen. Somebody is going to get hurt - it's either going to be him, an opponent, or one of our players.

NGM

Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

DutchBird

Quote from: NGM on December 09, 2005, 05:47:41 PM
Is Serbia/Montenegro any good?

Can be... won their group (beat Spain). It is a "hot and cold" team. And their recent style of play has suited us. They are considered the weakest of the group and except for the group of the USA, they would not in any other. 

They are placed way too low on the rankings (at the moment they are as strong as Germany if I had to guess). Frankly, I would argue they are as good as the USA at least.

Ivory Coast is, IMHO a least as good as Ghana. Top stars are Drogba (Chelsea), Kalou (Auxerre) and Kone (PSV).

... as Marco van Basten stated: "an interesting group, and, luckily enough, a group of teams who want to play football."

With Timmy, one of three things is going to happen. Somebody is going to get hurt - it's either going to be him, an opponent, or one of our players.

MDS

Whats the time difference this year? Last time the games were on like at 2am, gotta be something better with ze Germans.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Brutal draw. Some good teams there.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Like you know anything about soccer, let alone sports. Let alone anything.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Quote from: MDS on December 09, 2005, 06:15:37 PM
Like you know anything about soccer, let alone sports. Let alone anything.

Well look who thinks they're the big man on campus now that I don't have time to smack you around. Did the coalition finally elect you president? Enjoy the ride, douchey. Your comeuppance is right around the corner. Book it.

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Ha. I am the farthest thing from big man on campus. Little man on campus, or unkown man on campus. Maybe who the farg is that man on campus. Yea, thats me. The coalition hasn't been very eventful, counting its a stupid group on facebook (college equivilant of myspace). And frankley, I miss you. You are a meatciclehead, but an entertaining one. Go back to your old job that enabled you to do no work and post here all day.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

fansince61

Quote from: PhillyandBCEagles on February 13, 2005, 03:33:35 PM
US won 2-1 at Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday in the first match of the final round of qualifying, next up is probably the toughest game of the round, at Mexico on March 29.

Any other soccer fans in Iggles-land??

What the Farg..You gotta be kidding me...will this thread be ping-pong or  :-Dhurling next

DutchBird

Quote from: MDS on December 09, 2005, 06:07:05 PM
Whats the time difference this year? Last time the games were on like at 2am, gotta be something better with ze Germans.

Time fifference with the East Coast is -6 hours So you should be able to see the games for either breakfast or lunch.

bobbyinlondon

Quote from: NGM on December 09, 2005, 05:14:08 PM
Ed, every year the host is supposed to get the easiest bracket and because of that there is one "death bracket."  The U.S. according to most things I've heard have that this year.  :-\  Its called death bracket because even if you make it out you are generally more worn than those with easier brackets.  On the the plus side the U.S.' bracket in 02' was considered by some to be the hardest.

If the US makes it out of their group, they'll probably be second to either the Czechs or Italians--they would then face Brazil in a second round game. They have to hope to spring a surprise in their first game, much like they did in 2002 against Portugal and then hope to draw against Italy and win  against Ghana. I don't tink 5 points is going to get you out of group this year.

Diomedes

I like World Cup.  I'm ignorant to it.  But last World Cup, I dragged myself out of bed to go to packed bars and drink at unnatural hours.  I've rarely had so much fun at a bar than during World Cup.  It always makes me wish the Eagles fans would sing something other than that tired old fight song, too. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger