Soccer - World Cup Qualifying

Started by PhillyandBCEagles, February 13, 2005, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyandBCEagles

Don't worry about McBride...worry about Eddie Johnson, the TO of soccer (seriously, their body types--at least relative to the other guys in their respective sports--and the impact both have on their teams' offenses are strikingly similar)

RomeyRome

Quote from: New Green Monster on February 18, 2005, 09:15:39 AM
McBride will be playing.  Remember your squad is getting old too.  ;)
Man do you guys remember when McBride went up in the air and got knocked in the eye/forehead and had that big azz knot.

Yeah McBride will be playing and starting, but I wish he wasn't starting anymore.  He is a great presence in the air of course, but I think he lacks too much in all the other areas.  He has been great for the US team for year, but I'm hoping they give other guys a chance. 

I'm so glad the team is finally passed all the Cobi Jones, the dude with the red hair, Marcela Balboa, etc.  Those guys became soccer famous, but their skills are subpar. 

The players we have now on the team can compete with most of the world in terms of skills.  I think this will be the first US team that will put on a showcase that the rest of the world will finally have to respect (ok so they will still hate the US, but they will realize the team is competitive).

Beasley
Donovan
Johnson
Mastroeni
Albright
Bocanegra
Mathis
Olsen
Twellman
Wolff
Cherundolo
Gibbs
Great nucleus of young and prime players mixed with great veterans like

Armas
McBride
Hejduk
Pope
Berhalter
Lewis
Reyna

Mints

Quote from: New Green Monster on February 18, 2005, 09:15:39 AM
McBride will be playing. Remember your squad is getting old too. ;)

I remember being the USA in fifa 1995 or something on the playstation, I swear McBride was playing then!

Our squd has some EXPERIENCED players, but we're bringing in a lot of younger palyers like Wright-Philips.

We'll probably just manage to get like into the quater finals of the WC and then get knocked out on penaltes, like normal!! >:(

NGM

The U.S. has a penchant for hanging onto old players because we never had replacement talent.  That is starting to change though.  I wouldn't say that we are a threat to win it, but it isn't impossible.  Oh yeah, can we have Michael Owen?
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

hbionic

I will be singning up for tickets this week for the World Cup. That would be awesome being in the crowd watching mexico against some European team...once again, hoping against all odds and skill...that we win.

...and we pray.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Dirty Waters

does anyone know if adu is on our squad for this cup?

PhillyandBCEagles

Won't know until a month or so before the tournament starts.  But there's almost no chance he will be, simply too many people ahead of him in the depth chart.

NGM

Quote from: Dirty Waters on February 27, 2005, 11:38:29 PM
does anyone know if adu is on our squad for this cup?

I would say that is next to impossible.  They only reason he would make it is to sell tickets, I doubt he would actually play.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

RomeyRome

2010 The year of Adu coming to a world cup near you.

RomeyRome

Here comes Me-HEE-Ko! Living in southern Cali I am surrounded by Mexican supporters and probably have just as many friends rooting for Mexico as I have that are for the US.  It makes it a great game to watch, unless the US loses of course.

A little history:

1)  In its long soccer history, Mexico has a robust 28-11-10 record against the US side. In 22 games played south of the border, the best the US could do was squeak out a lone tie. 

2) The US beat the Mexican squad 2-0 in the 2002 World Cup which it you don't know, a Mexican loss to the US makes Mexicans contemplate suicide, let alone a shut out loss in the World Cup which I go to watch with my Mexicano compadres and throw in their faces US victory which was fun being the lone huero!

3) Over the past eight contests, the US is 6-1-1 vs. the Tricolores.  VIVA LA USA!

http://abcnews.go.com/International/CSM/story?id=608073

RomeyRome

Stupid Mexico!   >:( :'(

There is another world cup qualifying game on TODAY!  Check your local listings, I believe it will be 8pm ET on one of the ESPN networks, but I'm not sure.

BigEd76

If anyone cares:

Group A = Costa Rica, Ecuador, Germany, Poland
Group B = England, Paraguay, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago
Group C = Argentina, Ivory Coast, Netherlands, Serbia & Montenegro
Group D = Angola, Iran, Mexico, Portugal
Group E = Czech Republic, Ghana, Italy, USA
Group F = Australia, Brazil, Croatia, Japan
Group G = France, South Korea, Switzerland, Togo
Group H = Saudi Arabia, Spain, Tunisia, Ukraine

USA vs Czech Republic - June 12
Italy vs USA - June 17
Ghana vs USA - June 22

Main tourney starts on June 24

E1 vs F2 - June 26
E2 vs F1 - June 27

E1/F2 winner vs G1/H2 winner - June 30
E2/F1 winner vs G2/H1 winner - July 1

E1/F2/G1/H2 winner vs A1/B2/C1/D2 winner - July 4
E2/F1/G2/H1 winner vs A2/B1/C2/D1 winner - July 5

Winner of those 2 matches = championship - July 9

T_Section224

are we lucky to be in that group or are we screwed?
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

BigEd76

From what I've read (I know nothing about soccer), the Czech Republic is good and Italy isn't as strong as they usually are.  Might be tough to qualify for the round of 16...

MDS

I think its time to bring up some negative Italian stereotypes, in hopes that it will mess with the guidos heads.

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.