Random Eagles Information Still Not Worthy of a New Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, March 24, 2011, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

He got worked so hard he got turned into a suburban mom who found out she didn't win Yard of the Month.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

What's to make of the FO proposing (and shortly thereafter withdrawing) that Thanksgiving Day games no longer be hosted in Detroit and Dallas every year?  Put forward as a serious claim with hopes of it actually being taken up, or a feeler to establish the idea and see reaction?

What do you fools think, leave status quo or spread the games around?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Generally it's a cynical scheme by revenue-oriented people to replace unattractive Lions matchups with something that could draw higher ratings. In the case of the Eagles proposal (since it only affects home vs away), it seems like an honest attempt to balance the schedule competitively a tiny bit more (in a way that benefits the Eagles, of course).

I think propose-and-withdraw was meant to make the point, without overly antagonizing Cowboys and Lions ownership and forcing them to expend time and money fighting it.

The Lions more or less invented the concept of nationally broadcast Thanksgiving football. It's a tradition that seems harmless to me, and it's a nice connection to the early days of the NFL. I wouldn't care about the Cowboys losing their game.

ice grillin you

im a traditionalist and maybe more importantly not obsessed with the cowboys so i want the status quo

im at a loss as to how it is an advantage anyway...so detroit and dallas are guaranteed one home thursday game every year....teams hate thursday games...and its not like the thanksgiving game somehow gives these teams 9 home games

was the thanksgiving game an advantage to dallas when they were a dominant nfl franchise....but in the last 25 years it hasnt been an advantage?

and man has it really helped detroit out all these years
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

It was a petty dick move. Now if they threw out the idea to get rid of Thursday night games to help pull back on the oversaturation, that would have been great.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

The NFL is doing everything in its power to farg itself and its staunchly loyal (read: older/working class) fans, so sure, by all means, go ahead and ruin one of the few remaining traditions worth saving. 

Also - remove the helmets and pads too. 

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 22, 2019, 11:10:12 AM
im at a loss as to how it is an advantage anyway

dallas and detroit host thursday games every year and are never on the road for thursdays (on a short week). the other 30 teams fluctuate between home/road thursdays. home teams win thursday game at a higher rate than sunday games. its a microscopically small advantage but it is one.

of course, it has done nothing for either franchise as theyve been largely worthless for the last 3 decades, detroit especially so.

Quote from: Rome on March 22, 2019, 12:35:07 PM
The NFL is doing everything in its power to farg itself and its staunchly loyal (read: older/working class) fans, so sure, by all means, go ahead and ruin one of the few remaining traditions worth saving. 

Also - remove the helmets and pads too. 

so old white poor people will be mad about no lions on thanksgiving while old white rich people wont care. and young white poor people are going to be mad...or old latinx middle class people will be? im confused.

the cowboys are going to be on thanksgiving in one way or another because they are the biggest draw in sports. the lions typically stink. you could find a better game for 1230 and everyone would still watch anyway.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

The NFL was built on tradition.  farg with that at your peril.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on March 22, 2019, 01:55:07 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on March 22, 2019, 11:10:12 AM
im at a loss as to how it is an advantage anyway

dallas and detroit host thursday games every year and are never on the road for thursdays (on a short week). the other 30 teams fluctuate between home/road thursdays. home teams win thursday game at a higher rate than sunday games. its a microscopically small advantage but it is one.

just a few years ago dallas played home thanksgiving then went on the road the next thursday against a team on a 10 day break

this is why people hate eagle fans....be better

Rome

A little known fact: Good teams typically beat bad teams *unless* they're involved in trap games.

MDS

Quote from: Rome on March 22, 2019, 05:59:03 PM
The NFL was built on tradition.  farg with that at your peril.

there was a tradition of sunday afternoon home games...gone
there was a tradition of the los angeles rams and cleveland browns and baltimore colts...all moved (but returned)
there was a tradition of white qbs....whoopsie

i can go on but if youre gonna go all fiddler on the roof and scream tradition you could do a lot better than the lions on thanksgiving.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 22, 2019, 06:51:19 PM
just a few years ago dallas played home thanksgiving then went on the road the next thursday against a team on a 10 day break

thats why i said thursdays on a short week. those games are on regular rest. regardless playing 3 games in 12 days in a disadvantage for dallas. detroit doesnt do this because they stink and dont need to be a part of the TNF package like dallas does.

as i said its a microscopic advantage all in all, especially for detroit. they havent dont anything with it. all in all it doesnt matter. they should put 3 really good games on TG not because its fair to everyone but because its the logical thing to do.

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on March 22, 2019, 07:41:50 PM
i can go on but if youre gonna go all fiddler on the roof and scream tradition you could do a lot better than the lions on thanksgiving.

OMG, too funny!   :-D
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

If it was the rams instead of Dallas on thanksgiving there wouldn't be a made up advantage

people are out of their mind with the cowboys and frankly it's embarrassing

they are just another team....get over it

MDS

who is out of their minds about the cowboys...im legit confused about this