07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Off-Season Thread

Started by rjs246, May 19, 2008, 08:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

It's easy to forget that they finished in 4th place in their own division and would have needed to beat all three division champs to reach the finals (something that's been done only once).  Hopefully next year they figure out how to beat the friggin Devils on the road, compete for the division title and get easier matchups in the playoffs.  At least they'll get a break with facing their divisional opponents only 6 times each instead of 8...

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on May 19, 2008, 10:00:53 AMAt least they'll get a break with facing their divisional opponents only 6 times each instead of 8...

i would hope that by next year thats a break for their opponents
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

It's entirely possible that this team takes a step back next year if they don't add some pieces. They are not in a place where they can stand pat and expect the same or better results.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on May 19, 2008, 03:27:54 PM
It's entirely possible that this team takes a step back next year if they don't add some pieces. They are not in a place where they can stand pat and expect the same or better results.

true...i mean lets be real here if the penguins dont tank the last game of the season the flyers dont win a round in the playoffs

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 19, 2008, 03:30:02 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on May 19, 2008, 03:27:54 PM

true...i mean lets be real here if the penguins dont tank the last game of the season the flyers dont win a round in the playoffs
i dont exactly buy into that if Timmonen and Coburn are healthy, and Biron plays its a whole new series.  It was a weird year thought to get to the ECF, never saw it coming. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

Hatcher talking about not going with laraque. 
QuoteHatcher was asked about Laraque's comments and said, "Why would I waste my time fighting him? He plays 4 minutes a game. I was impressed he could skate backwards while running his mouth to me. I laughed at him."

SunMo

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15536

QuoteFlyers winger Sami Kapanen has decided to end his NHL career, announcing his retirement with one season remaining on his contract with Philadelphia.

Kapanen, who will turn 35 on July 15, is the majority owner of KalPa Kuopio, a team in Finland's SM-Liiga. He will wind up his playing career with the club, where he also got his start in hockey. Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen, a Kuopio native who also got his start with KalPa, is a minority owner of the club.

A report in Kuopio-based newspaper Savon Sanomat quoted Kapanen as saying that he informed the Flyers yesterday of his decision. A source close to Kapanen has confirmed the report. I am currently attempting to get further comment from Sami himself and from KalPa management.

Kapanen was scheduled to make $1.25 million next season and his retirement will save the Flyers the same amount against their 2008-09 salary cap.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

mo money mo defensemen

I'll miss Sami, but this is a good time for the Flyers for him to walk away.

NGM

Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

ice grillin you

pretty sure hatcher wouldnt fare to well in a speedy finnish league

NGM

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 02, 2008, 12:55:18 PM
pretty sure hatcher wouldnt fare to well in a speedy finnish league

Har har.  I meant goes into retirement funny guy. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Rome

34.3 seconds to go for a Stanley Cup win and the Red Wings blow it.