06/07 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, September 30, 2006, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

They did it again. Choking dogs. Pathetic. Losers. A joke. Burrell sucks. Conine sucks. Dellucci sucks. Rowand sucks. Manuel sucks. Wade sucks. Monty sucks. farg this godamn team. I hate them.

On to next year. Let's look it by position.

Infield- Set, and actually subperb, in 3/4 positions. Rollins, Utley, Howard. Thirdbase is open. Nunez was fairly mediocre when he got the starting job, Gillick said he wants to go outside the organization next year. However, given the limitations of good 3B free agents outside of the possiblity of Aramis Ramirez, Nunez might stick. It wouldn't be an awful thing if they can improve both LF and RF, meaning Nunez would again bat 8th.

Outfield- Victorino will start somewhere. Conine will be back in a reserve role. Burrell could be back, though Gillick will do everything he can to trade this bum. Dellucci is gone, he's really not that good and probably wouldn't get the starting job. That leaves some things open. Free agents like Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano should be targets. Lee will be an absolute perfect fit, batting 5th and playing LF. Aaron Rowand, beloved by most, is awfully mediocre. Offensivley, he should be better next year. But he's an injury waiting to happen and can't be projected to bat any higher than 7th. If things fall into place and he can hit 7th and play CF, then maybe.

Catcher- Estrada said he wants back in, not sure why. Maybe that happens, but you can't really expect specific trades. From what they have, a platoon of Ruiz and Coste (1 catches 2 guys, there other 3) could be fairly effective. Lieberthal is done. His knees are shot.

Bench- Who knows. Michael Bourn and Jeff Conine would be solid outfielders. Randal Simon could be a good bat. Need an infielder who can play 3 positions. They can do better than Jose Hernandez and Danny Sandoval, though this is one of the last things to worry about.

Starting Pitching- Myers and Hamels are a great, young 1-2 punch. Lieber will probably be back as the 3. Moyer said right now he wants back, and only for the Phillies. Wolf is shaky, though given a full offseason to recover, he might be back to form. One of them makes a good 4. The 5 will be a young player, perhaps Gavin Floyd (third times the charm) or Eude Brito. As long as the top of the roation is good, everything else will fall into place.

Bullpen- Gordon, Geary, Smith appear to be a good backend. Aaron Fultz would be fairly decent for middle relief. Madson is good as the wild card out there. Young guys and maybe a veteran free agent (who doesnt love those?) could book end this group. Just no Arthur Rhodes or Rick White, please.

Needs- First and foremost, a RH 5th hitter to protect Howard. Needs to be someone much better than what they have now. Adding a quality pitcher somewhere along the way would make things much better, too. Most importantly, nabbing an all-star type bat will make this lineup among the best in baseball. But in the end, its the Phillies. I'm sure they'll farg it up somehow.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

Agreed on almost everything you said.  I'd put getting a #2 to #3 quality pitcher slightly higher than a right handed bat though.

Sgt PSN

How about we throw a ton of money at Soriano and move Chase to the outfield. 

BigEd76

How about no.

BTW, according to Ken Mandel, either Moyer or Wolf will be back, but not both...

MDS

Quote from: mpmcgraw on September 30, 2006, 07:26:53 PM
Agreed on almost everything you said.  I'd put getting a #2 to #3 quality pitcher slightly higher than a right handed bat though.

pitching is already good. zito is the best out there, but youd have to overpay. lee would be #2 behind soriano, it wouldnt cost as much.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

So, who is your fifth pitcher next year?  Wolf? Carrasco?  Happ?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: BigEd76 on September 30, 2006, 07:48:02 PM
How about no.

BTW, according to Ken Mandel, either Moyer or Wolf will be back, but not both...

The sad thing about that is that it's a toss up as to which one I'd rather see back next year. 

I think I'd go with Wolf though.  He's been pretty shaky since coming back, but I really didn't expect anything more from him either.  Hopefully with an offseason of work he can get back to something resembling his former self. 

Geowhizzer

Even though pitchers with TJS can come back within a year now, they still take 18 months or so to regain their effectiveness.

I think I stick with Wolf with a cheap contract (incentive-laden perhaps).

Think Burrell is more willing to waive his no-trade now?  Think that many teams will take on that ludicrous contract?  Think that Gillick would have the balls to designate his ass for assignment?

I think that the Happy Hawaiian may have impressed enough so that the brass does not bring back Rowand.  That kid can go get 'em in center.

I can't see the Phils spending the cash needed to get Lee.

mpmcgraw

I dont think you can designate somebody for assignment in the offseason.

If they trade Burrell they need to upgrade his replacement.  Conine or rowand  in left for a full year?  Yuck.   

MDS

Quote from: mpmcgraw on September 30, 2006, 07:54:12 PM
So, who is your fifth pitcher next year?  Wolf? Carrasco?  Happ?

some young guy. they have a bunch who could do it. if none pan out, go get a vet at deadline. were talkin bout a 5th starter. with days off, you wont need one that badly as long as the other 4 are solid.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: mpmcgraw on September 30, 2006, 08:59:18 PM
I dont think you can designate somebody for assignment in the offseason.

If they trade Burrell they need to upgrade his replacement.  Conine or rowand  in left for a full year?  Yuck.   

I didn't think that there was any time limits on DFAs.  The Wikipedia article didn't mention any timeline.

Ed?  Where are you?  You have the answer for everything.

MDS

Juan Pierre is a free agent. I'm creaming my pants in anticipation.

Decent outfielders outside of Lee:
Frank Catalanto
Trot Nixon

Weak.

mpmcgraw

That's just not funny. 

Hasnt God farged with us enough? 

mpmcgraw

Gary Matthews, Jim Edmonds, Tori Hunter, Gary Sheffield, and possibly Jermaine Dye.

Meh.

Sgt PSN

Why am I not surprised by the fact that you aren't high on outfielders who can hit the ball?