Another Rate My Team thread.

Started by Sgt PSN, August 22, 2005, 06:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Did a live draft yesterday as well.  Here's the team.

QB - P. Manning
       J.  Harrington

RB - A. Green
       B. Westbrook
       M. Bennett
       T. Henry
       R. Williams
       M. Shipp
       M. Anderson

WR - T. Owens
        J. Horn
        N. Burleson
        D. Driver
        R. Smith
        D. Patten
        J. Gaffney
        G. Lewis
        D. Boston

TE -  T Gonzales
        M. Pollard
        B. Miller

K -    D. Akers
        K. Brown

Def/ST - Jets
             Texans

There's 10 people in the league and there's $300 waiting for the winner ($100 for 2nd and $50 for 3rd)  This is a points league, no head to head match ups.  I had the 3rd and 18th picks, so on and so forth.  We play 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Def/ST with the option to play 2 additional players (RB and/or WR).  I took Manning with my first pick since Holmes and Tomlinson were off the board and then I took Green w/ my 2nd round pick.  I forget after that.  Anywho, I think I made out pretty well although I'd like to try and add another bonafide fantasy stud at RB, but what do you guys think? 

Also, it's a salary cap league and we have to have at least 20 players on the roster with a max of 25.  Right now I'm maxed out on roster space and a couple of mil over the cap.  So I need to try and get rid of a couple of players to get under the cap.  I'd like to try and unload a few players via trade to improve my RB position.  But if I'm unable to work out a deal and have to cut players, which players should I look to unload first?  B. Miller and D. Boston are on the top of my list with Ricky Williams getting significant consideration.  His salary is still a top notch RB salary but he's looked lousy in preseason so far and may be the back up RB.  If I cut him and one other player I'll be under the cap.  But I can't help but wonder if he'll return to form.  If he does and I drop him, that'll be a FF blunder of epic proportions. 

Advise me.  :)

QB Eagles

Well you ended up with the best QB and the best tight end in the league, and arguably the best wide receiver and kicker as well. Having Horn as your #2 receiver is also a steal imho.

I don't see any reason to pay Ricky big money. Guy won't even be playing the first 4 games, right? Even if he does return to form, you won't be losing many points with Green plus your "fantasy stud" RB, backed up by Westy, Bennett and Henry. I gambled on Ricky in the CFFL league this year, but I never would have done that in a salary capped league that forces me to pay him like the Ricky of old. With a year away from the game doing wacky shtein, I think you have to consider him like you'd consider a promising yet unproven rookie RB. Too much of a wild card to command the big dollars.

Beyond Williams, I agree that Boston and Miller probably make the most sense to cut. What's your thinking carrying 2 kickers? Does this league not allow guys to be picked up midseason if Akers goes down with an injury? It depends on the exact scoring scheme, but typically, beyond the top few guys, there's not a lot of difference among the starting kickers. Not enough to justify reserving an extra roster spot anyway. If you can't pick up new kickers midseason though, then I'd agree with the move.

Sgt PSN

Agree with everything about Ricky.  I picked him up in the 25th round.  Had I realized his salary was so high, I probably would have gone with someone else, but I figured he just might be a steal with the 243rd pick in the draft.  :-D

I've got 2 kickers just for the sake of having 2 kickers.  Saves me the hassle of trying to add one during Akers' bye week and having to decide which player do drop.  Also provides insurance just incase something does happen to Akers.  Same reasoning with why I've got 2 defenses.  But looking at it with your perspective (if I had to add a kicker midseason due to injury) then it would make sense for me to drop one of my kickers right now for cap/roster space. 

Zanshin

Philly_Crew

Looks real good.  If you get rid of Ricky, what other RB's are out there?  Can you back-up Bennett with Mewelde Moore or Moe Williams?

Diomedes

Get rid of one of those Ds.  The same argument presented above regarding the Kicker position obtains for the D position.  Go with one D and just add whoever on their bye week to fill the gap for a week. 

Harrington is not going to make fantasy hay.  Why you take him mister?

I agree on Ricky.  Four games with zero production is all you need to know.

Is Boston cheap?  If so, hang onto him for now.  He's looked good in camp and preseason.  If he's cheap, he's probably worth a spot on the roster for a couple weeks just to see...

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger