Rest of Baseball - For ALL TIME!

Started by Geowhizzer, March 30, 2018, 05:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Been thoroughly entertained by the Pittsburgh-Detroit game.  Pittsburgh scored four runs in the top of the 9th to go ahead 10-6.
Detroit scored four more to send it to extra innings.  And the game winning run by Detroit was overturned by a lengthy review in the 10th inning.  Ron Gardenhire was thrown out by both umps involved in the review.

ice grillin you

bryce harper just split his bat in half and hit a homer off degrom....unreal
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

Red Sox messed up the Halos.  Ohtani 2 IP 4 H 3 R
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Sean Manaea has a no-hitter through 7 against Boston.  It includes the umpires gathering and ruling Andrew Benintendi out of the baseline on a close play at first to end the 6th.

EDIT:  Got it.

Don Ho

Oakland Alameda shteinhole was 90% Red Sox Nation tonight.  That abomination needs to be blown to smithereens.

Great to see those chowdah heads suck ass watching their beloved Sawxs get no hit.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

if you want to do something fun take a stroll through bartolo colon's batters faced list

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/batter_vs_pitcher.cgi?pitcher=colonba01

its basically every player from the late 90s to today. mariano duncan. socrates brito. tony gwynn. eddie murray. clay AND cody bellinger. charlie hayes. exhibit A of phillies killing mike mordecai. sandy alomar. gary gaetti. 5 appearances against brandon duckworth! 10 plate appearances against doug glanville. hes faced jose canseco 19 times and aaron altherr 18. 22 against delino deshields...and now hes on the same team as his son.

never retire, bartolo.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

so far this year 142 players have struck out more times than tony Gwynn did in any season from 1991 to 1996

Rome

hbionic

That is a disgusting stat.

I'm curious to know what is the league average for both leagues since that time Tony Gwynn played.

Is it up or down? Is the ball smaller, arms stronger? Are batters not as strong because of the purportedly less use of steroids? Is it that pitcher's aren't pitching as many innings so they're stronger?

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MDS

way up

3 true outcomes (hr, bb, k) are valued the most now. so hitters are more patient, working deeper counts which leads to more k's and bb's. additionally, guys are stronger and more importantly swinging for the fences more. 2 strike approach is the same as 1 and 0 for a lot of hitters.

pitchers are throwing harder than ever before. average starters are being converted into relievers. 7th and 8th inning relievers are better than theyve ever been.

is this good for the game? im not sure. the fix is to shorten the strikezone a bit to make it more enticing for hitters to swing. ultimately, balls in play are what you want.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

hbionic

Interesing MDS.

Didn't realize batters were swinging at 1-0 before.

Guess they figured they had 3-4 pitches in the bank before they had to get serious?

Now, feels like a 2-0 to a 3-2 count cuts the strike zone into a 4-inch square that the pitcher has to touch. At least in the playoffs it does.

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

QB Eagles

ice grillin you

QuoteThere's been 34 postponements in MLB this season, the most through May in the last 15 seasons.

There were 39 postponements all of last season and just 25 in 2016.

ice grillin you

ice grillin you

this is pathetic...baseball in trouble

QuoteWe are on pace for more strikeouts than hits –  18,613 strikeouts compared to 18,136 hits entering Wednesday's non-action. The average time between balls put in play, according to "Sports Illustrated," is a staggering 3 minutes, 45 seconds.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/06/20/mlb-bad-baseball-attendance-strikeouts/718162002/